The Bark

The Student News Site of Zephyrhills High School

The Bark

The Bark

Contaminated Gas?

Do you know what you’re putting in your car?
Contaminated+Gas%3F

Due to Human error, gas stations are taking a hit from contaminated fuel leaving many engines suffering due to people not really knowing what they’re putting inside of their car.

During a news conference, Gov. Ron DeSantis said the contamination was “human error,” saying “They put diesel in tanks that were supposed to be regular gas.” Florida Agriculture Commissioner Wilton Simpson said “the contamination issue was discovered through a state Department of Transportation weight check because diesel is heavier than gasoline”. Simpson said gas stations on the delivery manifest were notified within the hour of potential contamination.

In correlation to the corrupted fuel a lot of things are suffering mainly cars, but the real question is if human error caused this, then human error could cause it again. Contaminated gasoline and diesel have the potential of causing engine damage or affecting them not to work right, leading to vehicle failures. Any generators used in the case of storm-related power outages could also be affected from this.

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services announced that more than two dozen gas stations around the state may have received contaminated gas mixed with diesel fuel that could harm or disable engines. On Tuesday, the agency said “six stations did not receive the contaminated fuel, and eight other stations have been inspected, remediated and cleared”.  Seventeen stations were on a “stop sale” order from the state.

Currently, impacted consumers have a couple options for any bad gas they had bought. First, they can file a claim with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services about the gas bought from the specific station. Second, they can go straight to the station where they bought the bad gas and demand compensation. However though, they must provide a receipt or bank statement to prove that they had bought gas there and what day. While these are valid options, but most people just don’t have the cash on hand to pay for repairs.