The Bark

The Student News Site of Zephyrhills High School

The Bark

The Bark

Gulf V. Zephyrhills

The Bulldogs host the Gulf Buccaneers on Friday night under the bright lights at Bulldogs Stadium. The Bulldogs carry a 3-1 record as they enter carrying three straight wins, beating The Villages, Wiregrass and Land O Lakes. The buccaneers entered with a middling record of 2-2. Both teams enter with positive point differentials both defenses have allowed less than 80 points. Coaches and Players believe this to be a defensive battle. 

Outside Linebacker Fred Maixner (’24) has had a hot start to the season. He is top 8 in the district for total tackles with 18. Coaches say they have seen fire in Maixner so far this season and know he’ll keep up his play. Maixner believes if the whole team can play their part, they can pull one out a win on week five. 

“We go into every game confidently, and we go into every game smart, knowing our roll and knowing exactly what we have to do,” Maixner said. ”If no one loses they have to do, and we stay on top we should bring another one home.” 

Bulldogs Quarter back (QB) Brendyn Colella (‘24) led the offensive charge with 702 passing yards and 7 touchdowns. Colella is building off a stelar junior campaign where he threw 26 touchdowns. The bulldog QB said he looks to lead his team even further than he did last year. Colella carries himself with a ton of confidence and many believe that the last two seasons all he’s done is back it up. 

“I’m looking to throw the same number of Touchdowns I did against Wiregrass, which was 4, that’s an ideal game,” Colella said. “I know I can the run the ball as much as I want against any team so it’s not that much of a concern.”